You are eligible to apply for a scholarship if you are a current domicile resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia as defined by § 23-7.4 , and if, between 1954 and 1964, you were:
- A student in the public schools of Arlington, Charlottesville, Norfolk, Prince Edward County, or Warren County when the public schools were closed to avoid desegregation; and
- Unable to begin, continue, or complete your public school education during this time; or
- Relocated within or outside of the Commonwealth to begin, continue, or complete your public school education during these years due to school closings to avoid desegregation; or
- Ineligible to attend a private academy or foundation, in- or out-of-state, established to circumvent desegregation; or
- Unable to pursue postsecondary education opportunities or training because of the inability to obtain a high school diploma or its equivalency.
How scholarship awards can be used
- Transitional education programs and services
- GED Program
- Adult high school diploma
- Career and technical education and training
- College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Two-year degree program
- Four-year undergraduate degree program
- Certain recognized five-year undergraduate degree program (includes 4-year undergraduate plus 1-year master's degree)
- Masters and doctoral degree
- Professional degrees
Qualifying education programs
- Recognized preparation programs for the General Education Development Certificate (GED) and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
- Adult Basic Education Programs offered by Virginia public schools
- Comprehensive community college programs (i.e. two-year undergraduate degree programs) at Virginia community colleges
- Career and technical education and training at Virginia community colleges, and licensed nonprofit career (postsecondary career and technical education) schools
- Four-year and certain recognized five-year undergraduate degree programs at accredited Virginia public and private four-year institutions of higher education, including summer school and undergraduate and graduate degree programs offered electronically by these institutions
- Graduate masters and doctoral level degree programs
- Professional degree programs, e.g. medicine, law, dentistry, optometry, nursing, veterinary medicine
Non-qualifying education programs
- Theological schools and seminaries
- Private, for-profit career and technical education, and vocation schools
- Private for-profit proprietary schools
- Out-of-state schools and institutions, including out-of-state schools and institutions with Virginia campuses, whether or not courses are provided online or through other distance learning programs and technologies
- Correspondence schools
- Unaccredited programs and institutions of higher education
Renewing a scholarship
- Obtain and return a completed renewal application by the March 1, 2018 deadline. This deadline will not be waived or extended. No “new” applications will be accepted for the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Submit requested documentation verifying current Virginia domicile and residency.
- Provide all information requested on renewal application form regarding date of birth, social security number, and last grade and school attended.
- Affirm current Virginia domicile and residency. Updated information may be required.
- Apply for admission to the approved education program or institution of your choice, if you are changing programs or institutions.
- Submit, after admission to the program or institution, a copy of your admission letter.
- Submit a copy of your transcript for the 2017 fall semester together with the renewal application, and a copy of your final transcript for the 2017-2018 academic year to the Committee no later than June 1, 2018.
All renewal applications must be received by the Committee by March 1, 2018. Applications received after March 1, 2018, will not be accepted. As an option, applicants may fax or email the completed renewal application form to Lily Jones at (804) 698-1897 or email@example.com no later than 5:00 p.m. on March 1, 2018. The application packet may also be obtained upon request at the address below.
Where to request or send your Application
- Lily Jones
- Division of Legislative Services
- Pocahontas Building, 8th Floor
- 900 E. Main St.
- Richmond, VA 23219
- (804) 698-1886
- (804) 698-1897
Next Application Cycle
Deadline for “Renewal” applications for the 2018-2019 academic year is March 1, 2018.